Joe's memorial service
Joe Arena, respected SCLB club member, sadly passed away last Friday after a courageous health battle. Joe's memorial service will be held at Lyndon Grove at 1pm on Friday.
2016 Winter Classic 23 & 24 July
Click the link below to view 2016 Winter Classic Report:
2016 Winter Classic Report
2016 Winter Classic Draw
Don't forget our charity auction and social evening at the Front Beach Cafe on the Saturday night. All welcome - friends, supporters and competitors. Finger food provided and drinks at bar prices. Click link to view some auction images. 2016 Auction images
Click the link below to view 2016 Winter Classic 2016 poster:
2016 Winter Classic poster
Surfcoast Longboarders July. Comp report.
As a warm-up(?!) to the Winter Classic club members enjoyed fantastic conditions right throughout the day at the July aggregate comp on Saturday.
The forecast for excellent conditions was spot on and encouraged a very healthy attendance as members relished the opportunity to enjoy great waves – undoubtedly the best conditions this year.
Surfcoast Longboarders June. Comp report.
Challenging is perhaps the best way to describe conditions that greeted surfers who gather at The Spot for the club’s June competition.
Easterly winds over the preceding few days raised a big question mark over whether the June event would go ahead, but the day brought some swell and very light winds so, after much conferring, it was called on at The Spot.
SCLC Wins $2,000 Grant
Our club has been successful in winning a a grant of $2,000 from the Surfcoast Shire Small Grants Program to help make the Wild Women on Water event even bigger and better in 2017.
It was a great team effort by all involved to win the grant, but particular thanks must go to Heidi Atkins and Lissie Doyle (pictured receiving the grant from Cr David Bell), who have been the driving force behind WWOW. Well done all!
Surfcoast Longboarders May. Comp report.
After a week of howling winds and big swells Saturday’s aggregate comp delivered something slightly more refined.
The weather – well there could be no complaints in that regard for the May outing with beautiful sunshine most of the day and an unseasonal 26 degrees to keep many club members in their lighter wetties.
ANZAC Day dawn service 2016
Angela King proudly represented our club at the Torquay ANZAC Day dawn service, doing it as the diggers would, walking from home and back again with a bung knee.
Great club effort with wreath made from local indigenous flora, grown by Brian & John and made by Leah Lane.
Surfcoast Longboarders April. Comp report.
Saturday’s club comp at Pt. Impossible was a fitting venue to wrap up our successful Wild Women on Water celebration of International Women’s Day.
As well as providing a fabulous day, the March comp raised $1600 for community support organisation Bethany.
Bethany representative Kirsten Aplin was on hand at Saturday’s event to be presented with the cheque.
Noosa Festival of Surfing - 25TH Anniversary
(From our special correspondent in Noosa - George)
Surfcoast Longboarders reputation as a hotbed of talent was reinforced at the 25th anniversary Noosa Festival of Surfing.
It's been another great week of warm weather, but variable waves, with a lot of heats run on the beachy at Noosa Woods, but most afternoons on First Point for some dribblers on the low tide. Thankfully, the swell kicked Friday and Saturday, so all finals were surfed on the point.
- obviously, just being here - it is truly beautiful and it was the 25th anniversary
- our three finalists - our junior ranks are very healthy
- Jye's performance in both the juniors and the logger pro, where he dropped some big scores and led heats at certain times - 3rd in that field was awesome
- Morgan's 5th and highest placed Aussie girl in the field - beat 2 Aussie Champs on the way to the final and came up against two world champs in the final
- Liam's 8.75 wave in the semi final - had the crowd cheering (not just us) with 3 of his trademark roundhouse cutbacks and a big re-entry on the beach to finish it off
- Jye Whyatt 3rd in the U/18 Boys
- Morgan 5th in the U/18 Girls
- Liam 6th in the Open Mens Amateurs
- not sure if all are current financial members, but most, if not all, are former members and known to club members
- Billy Whitton 10 of 24 in the U/18 Boys
- Sam Suendermann 13 of 24 in Open Womens Amateurs
- Molly Powell 16 of 24 in Open Womens Amateurs & 25 of 34 in the Women's Pro
- Ben Considine 17 of 38 in the Noserider & 25 of 68 in the Logger Pro
- Jye Whyatt 17 of 68 in the Logger Pro
- Liam 49 of 68 in the Logger Pro
- Morgan 30 of 34 in the Women's Pro
- Steve Chooka Piec 7 of 24 in the O/65
- Bob Smith 9 of 24 in the O/65
- Steve Deppler 10 of 24 in the O/65
2016 Wild Women on the Water
WWOW what a day!
More than 100 people took to Point Impossible on Saturday, the car park quickly filling with 58 competitors and around the same in spectators.
While conditions weren’t perfect at 2ft with a south-easterly breeze, it didn’t stop the lady entrants from shredding and stepping their way down the line in a celebration for International Women’s Day.
It was amazing to see two eight-year old competitors, Rory Reyntjes and Holly Droomer paddle out and surf.
“Holly’s confidence has increased enormously since that one surf in an uncrowded friendly environment, she went surfing again the next day,” said mum Janelle.
“It was such a fun day, and really good to see some quality female surfing. It was so different to other competitions, a really non-intimidating environment for both young and old.” Read More.
Surfcoast Longboarders Feb. Comp report..
COWABUNGA DUDES……well, perhaps not quite!
Season 2016 kicked off with something less than the bang we all hoped for as the sketchy conditions that have tormented us over summer frustrated our opening round.
It’s a tough call sometimes for the contest director, but the decision is always made with the best interests of members in mind.
Still It’s difficult to point to another sport that is so dependent on factors out of anyone’s control - at least we’re used to it.Read More.
Minutes of Annual General Meeting - Jan 16, 2016
Please see links below for the Minutes of Annual General Meeting - Jan 16, 2016
and 2016 Membership form.
You can also see the competition dates for 2016 season here - Season 2016